Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Screwtape Letters

I just finished the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. And would highly recommend them. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the premise of The Screwtape Letters they really are fairly self explanatory. They are letters from Screwtape a executive devil to a novice tempter Wormwood. And inside these letters they discuss the status of Wormwood's 'patient' , the human he is assigned to. Throughout the pages Screwtape gives us the ins and outs of Hell and all of their new methods and tools.

In truth I thought they were very revealing. By making the letters such a distant source and never discussing really what Wormwood does (you only get letters from Screwtape) you actually are more able to put yourself in the shoes of the 'patient' and the satire becomes all the more poignant because you can relate to the 'patient'. As I have said I would highly recommend this book. It is a masterpiece of satire and I did not find it dark but hopeful. It's amazing how Screwtape's twisted businesslike manner works but it is not a discouraging, but an enlightening read.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool Eric! That's one I need to read, I've heard so much about it. C.S. Lewis was a Christian genius! I've read the Narnia Chronicles, but I need to branch out and read his other works...
...in all my free time... :)

Breanna said...

Sweet! Thanks Eric! I think I'll look into that. :)

Robin said...

I've always thought it was a beautiful study of human nature that invites introspection.

It's one of my favorites!

Jessica Grosland said...

I tried to read that book when I was about twelve years old, but I only made it through the first couple of chapters. Perhaps I shall give it another go.

P.S. HURRAY FOR ERIC POSTING!

Anonymous said...

Oh seriously, I love this book! One of my favorites. :)