Thursday, February 25, 2010

And Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

--Robert Frost

7 comments:

Zulimar said...

That's beautiful. Random reading of Robert Frost? Or did you come across it somewhere.

Eric Evans said...

We sang the 'Frostiana' version of this poem in Junior High and it's become one of my favorites so I thought I'd post it.

Zulimar said...

Beautiful

Tami Andrews said...

Mmmmm....I do like that one.
Dickinson is good too...

"A light exists in spring
Not present on the year
At any other period.
When March is scarcely here

A color stands abroad
On solitary hills
That science cannot overtake,
But human nature feels."

Winter is beautiful, I'm ready for spring. ;)

Eric Evans said...

Spring sounds like a good idea. I'll take it any time. :D

Anonymous said...

Everytime I hear the words to it I sing it in my head. :)

Wasn't it high school though? We sang it for graduation Jr. year...

Eric Evans said...

No It was Junior High. We did sing a frostiana piece Jr. Year at graduation but that one was "two roads" I believe.